Well hello all…and a very happy new year! Over the last few months Cacao Papow has been doing a marvellous job taking care of the blog, but I am happy to say Flo is back! And what better a way to ease myself back in our blog and into 2017 than with a post on my 2016 reverse bucket list?
The last few months of 2016 were pretty manic for me, and hence I took a step back from the blog for a while. But rest assured, 2016 was still jam-packed with vintage loveliness for me…as you will see from my reverse bucket list! This is something that I have been doing for a few years now, and I have kept it to myself for the most part but it’s a great way to look back at the end of the year and smile at all of the things that you have achieved and all of the places you have visited. The things that were once on your bucket list and have now moved places to the “Reverse Bucket List”. The way I look at it is this: why stress over new years resolutions, making yourself feel down at what you should have been doing differently last year, feel positive about all that you have accomplished! And more importantly…start planning the following year, what will you tick off of your bucket list next?
So here are just a few of the things that appear on my reverse bucket list for 2016 that make me smile every time I back over the year:
- The Lipstick and Curls Makeup Academy – having attended the hair academy in 2016 this was an absolute must for 2016.
- Learning the art of cross stitch – massive shout out to my old work pal Lucy here for teaching me this art. I have found strangely addictive, but also a therapeutic way of winding down of an evening.
- The Pinup Academy makeover and shoot – having attending a Pinup Academy workshop back in 2015, Papow and I simply had to go back for more.
- Theatre – one look at my bucket list and anyone would be able to tell I am an absolute sucker for the theatre. In 2016 I managed to tick of a few shows that I have dreamt of seeing for many years. My favourites? The Bodyguard, Thriller Live and Dirty Dancing.
- Gigs – Seeing Muse and the Red Hot Chili Peppers win 2016 was simply amazing.
- Health – Following surgery at the start of 2016 I am honestly feeling better than I have in years. I have a congenital condition which has its ups and downs. I would never have guessed it at the time but for the last 10 months I have been feeling like a total goddess.
- Improving my culinary skills – on the back of my new-found health, and on the suggestion of one of my oldest friends, I decided to begin a journey into improving my skills in the kitchen and became a bit of a clean eater. Up until this point I could only be proud of my cupcakes! In 2016 I threw myself into the kitchen, drawing inspiration from the likes of Deliciously Ella and Madeleine Shaw. I think those who know me well will safely agree with me that my transformation is quite unbelievable.
- New Job – with a new lease of life it was time to think more about what I wanted in life. I was by no means unhappy in my current role as a community pharmacist, however I am a self-confessed geek, I missed studying, and I needed a new challenge. In addition having spent so long in and out of hospital myself over the years I had always wanted to try my hand at a hospital based pharmacist position. And so…2016 was the year I made this leap!
- Henley Regatta – Pimms, sunshine, Vivien of Holloway dresses oh and the rowers…What more could I wish for on a fine summer’s day?
- Events organised by The British Belles – The Pinup Picnic in the Park/bar and I’m Dreaming of a Tiki Christmas were some of my favourite events of the year…and bumping into none other that Miss Victory Violet herself was the icing on the cake for.
- Frankie and Gerry’s Retro Studio – Papow’s birthday present that I managed to wiggle my way in on…a whole day raiding the vintage sets and wardrobes in this delightful studio in Newcastle was an absolute dream come true.
- Meeting Diablo Rose – Having met Lindsey Le Keux in Birmingham in the past, 2016 was definitely the year to meet her sister. Diablo worked her magic on our hair and makeup and the results from the shoot were simply outstanding. …stay tuned for these!
- Meet Cherry Dollface – Another hair and makeup goal accomplished in 2016, and what a woman Cherry is!
- Fashioning a Reign Exhibition – Oh the beautiful dresses…I could only drool.
- Goodwood Revival – Such happy memories from this event that I have had on my bucket list for literally years, although it is such a huge event I feel a definitely need to go back again.
- Brian Cox – Geek alert…yes this had to be included here. Those that know me well know I am a complete science geek and all things Space and Sci-Fi interest the hell out of me. Having the chance to listen to this man speak for a few hours really changes one’s outlook on life. When you’re feeling down and like the world is against you…tune in to this guy. His words on the sheer size of us in comparison to the universe really puts things into perspective.
So get scribbling guys, start adding to your reverse bucket lists now. Whether they be vintage-themed or not, just HAVE SOME FUN and I promise you that come the end of 2017 you will feel a great sence of achievement!